2015 is looking like a high-mileage year for me and many others. For me, there’s the Wales in a Day in September and a 206 mile ride in Newark in July. Plus probably a Coast to Coast in a Day and a lap of the Peak District.
Which means I need to do lots of long rides regularly to build the stamina and fitness back to peak for that. So, I’m going to be out as many Sundays as possible for at least 50 miles, and need to make sure that every month includes at least one epic.
Here’s the plan:
- January – Lincoln Blast – just under 100 miles. Flat.
- February – Double Brutal – Lots of opt outs if the weather changes, but 100 miles of intense climbing.
- March – ?
- April – ?
- May – Cleethorpes Run?
- June – Peak Epic++
- July – 205 mile Sportive
- August – Lap of the Peaks
- September – Wales in a Day
Generally, the mileage is high, but the cafe stops are low. Because there’s a lot of miles to get in. Self-sufficiency is important, I always carry:
- 2-3 inners
- tyre levers
- cable ties
- multi-tool with chain breaker
- Speed Links for the chain
- Energy Gels
- Phone, ID and Cash
With this, can handle pretty much anything that happens on a ride, without a problem.